Gujurati Tali

Namaste!

I love the hot/sweet tastes of Gujarati cuisine!  Notice the metal dishes.  We have some drinking cups with our name etched on the bottom .  We were told that Indian families take their own dishes to  dinner parties, so having your name on the bottom  would insure that you take home the ones you brought.

I showed you the tali served on the roof of the House of MG in old Ahmadabad which is very special with plants, torches and attentive waiters. We celebrated one of the last nights in Ahmadabad there. But there are everyday Gujarati Dining Halls were we ate more regularly. This meal served by a waiter, where you can be served as much as you wish costs $1.80. We always tipped so $2.00!

The dining hall in the video looks fancier than the one where we ate, but the food looks the same. Gujarati food is sweeter than other areas of India. I liked that but professor doesn’t.
Food is eaten by tearing off a piece of nan or roti and scooping it up. Spoons are also on the table for those who prefer it. Most of us got the hang of using our hands. Ahmadabad is “total veg” which was fine with us. I liked not having to worry about eating some unusual body parts, which happened in Italy. I am a food baby!

Video | This entry was posted in India, Travel, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Gujurati Tali

1. Its gujarati thali 🙂 i am a gujarati 😉 are you here???

I’ve never heard of this and there are tons of Indian restaurants in the bay area. I’ll have to check this out.

3. This show “chak de India” is my favorite one. Some of the best Indian cuisines are presented here. And I have never been to Gujarat, but I have tried many Gujarati dishes like ‘dhokhla’, ‘Phaphada’ etc and they all are really Delicious and mouth watering.

I love Indian food, all over the country. I loved the sweet Gujarati cuisine but husband preferred the food in the south.

I just wish I had a cook, I get very discouraged at the length of recipes. . . . time and ingredients.

• Hahah I can understand you. I too try to cook but I dont have that much patience. Gujarati food is tough to cook whereas south indian food is comparatively easy. In june I am going to travel and experience the beauty of south india.. I am a lot excited !!!! 🙂

We loved Chennai and the museum where the ancient dancing Shivas are with the large beach and families having dinner there at night. Love the St Thomas Cathedral. Pondicherry is awesome…..French section French Colonial plan that we have seen in our travels with a lovely garden. Our favorite is the Ganesha temple with the elephant out front blessing the tourists with a pat on the head with her truck.. . .with bakshesh, of course!
        Kerala is wonderful ….where the Hindi word of Jungle came into being. Take a boatride on the canals. We did a 3 hour day cruise, but there are wonderful sleepover boats complete with servants for all night Cruise. They servants cook and wait on you . I would love to do that. Not sure of the cost. .

In Goa , the students had two days of beach and fun while professor and I visited the huge Portugese cathedral churches. We were amazed that they were as large and beautiful as the ones in Europe.

Professor loves the south the best of all India. The temples in the south are very different and exquisite

My favorite place is Varanasi. . . Have you been there? . . .

• You are making me more excited about my trip. we are actually going Kerala and Kanyakumari, but you know the weather there would be very much humid and hot in june. And yes we have booked houseboats in backwaters of kerala. Goa is really a beautiful place though i have never seen it, but looking forward to go there soon.
        No i have never visited Varanasi, but would love to go there.
        Where else did you go while you were in Kerala ??

Oh I am so excited for you to be on the houseboat. You will have to tell me about it. I don’t think we will be able to do that with 15 students next year, but I would love it. I know we saw women and children in the rice fields.. . .But I don’t remember anything else about Kerala. Will as the professor when he gets home.

• Yup i would tell you all about it and click lots n lots of pictures. Tell me if professor recalls something 🙂

He is home and said that we were just passing through Kerala and the boat ride on the backwater was the only thing we did. Said the rice fields were on the way. Sorry. You can buy a travel guide at a book store. He like Eye Witness Guides ( for various countries) as the best ones. We lost it along the way so need to get a new one !

• ohhh Yes we will hire a guide while we travel, It’s an awesome place indeed.

Check my post on Veranasi with the videos. Amazing place l l

• Ohka i will surely 🙂

4. Dalo 2013 says:

It is great to hear both of your experiences and also your passion for India (and in this case Gujurati cuisine). Great post.