Co-champion National Spelling Bee Winners

The 87th Scripps Spelling Been finals ended in a tie. All the words were used-up by these two Indian-American teenage boys, Sriram Hathwar and Ansun Sujoe last night in Washington , DC. This is the first time there are co-champions  since 1962. Notice the poise of the contestants spelling words they couldn’t pronounce  and  the knowledge of the derivation and meaning of Greek root words!

Congratulations, boys !

Video | This entry was posted in India, Uncategorized, USA and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Co-champion National Spelling Bee Winners

1. alida5477 says:

AMAZING! I get lucky when I spell my name right! LOL!

I am not a good speller either. As a former teacher, I think it is a gift that not all of us have!

• alida5477 says:

You are so right!!!! I’m a teacher too, and I couldn’t agree more!!! I hate that I can’t spell! Ugh!!!

I used to tell my students that I wasn ‘t a good speller, and there was no problem unless you or I am a lazy poor speller. I used to look up words in a little dictionary or on the computer.
        My spelling improved when I was teaching phonics but still have trouble with when there are compound words and double consonants !

2. Rusha Sams says:

Congratulations, indeed. I certainly couldn’t have beaten these guys!

3. chr1 says:

That’s some serious spelling. They could have gone for days.

I love watching this Bee but I missed it this year!

5. alexraphael says:

Saw this story, really makes me smile. How was your spelling as a child?

6. annetbell says:

I had a good memory so I did well on spelling tests, but not well on recall. I think some people have a natural gift for spelling, others don’t . I used to tell my students, that there isn’t a problem being a good speller , but it is not good to be a lazy speller! Use dictionaries and spell check!