Honeycrisps

Honeycrisp_apple_tree

Most people think of New York City when New York state is mentioned. That is understandable  but Upstate, where we live, is quite different. There are still  many family farms where families live for generations raising cattle, crops, and gardens for stands and Farmers’ Markets. We are second in the country for apple production, after Washington State.  Last year, my first fall back from being in Arizona for 7 years, there were no apples due to a frost in the spring when the trees were in bloom causing a total loss of the crop.  But this year there is awesome crop and my favorite are the early Honeycrisps.  They were introduced to the country by University of Minnesota in 1991 and have quickly risen in popularity. The texture is crisp and there is a sweet/tart flavor.  They are great to be eaten , but equally good for cooking of baked apples, apple sauce or apple pie. Usually apples are either good for eating or cooking but not both.  Nova Scotia has been producing them after they made their way north of the border.  New Zealand is trying to meet the demand of Honeycrisps in the US by growing and shipping Honeycrunch Apples in the off season. I have not tasted them so I don’t know if they rise to the standard of Honeycrisps .

nyapple

The family was all here together  this weekend, and we decided to go to Best Berry Farm as the apples were ready for picking.  The price for “pick your own” with a liberal policy of tasting as you go is a mere $0.75 per pound. I had bought some …. 4 large apples in the supermarket for$3.99 a pound  with a total of $7.00 for 4 apples!  Saturday  was a quick in and out “picking”  and some pictures in front of the still blooming flowers.  It was a wonderful day. It makes me so happy how well the families get along….cousins and parents.  A mama’s dream come true!

photo (20)

photo (16)

photo (21)

photo (22)

photo (17)

1235036_10151899592874887_2033854669_n

To end a perfectly lovely Saturday, we went to Hollywood Drive-In.  It is an outside movie theater.  You can  sit in your car and hear the movie from a station on your radio or  sit in chairs and eat popcorn and sip milk shakes ! Our kids had pillows and blankets and lay on the ground.  There is one more Saturday night show next weekend, and then it will close for the winter!  There are very few of these drive-ins still in use.  When I was little, there were many.  Progress?

photo (23)

Saturday  night was the 30th anniversary celebration of a very special film.  Do you remember it?  et-hugs-elliott-henry-thomas-universals-et-extra-242500Iconic-ET

Namaste. . . . . . This Is E T Riding Home!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, USA and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Honeycrisps

1. What fun! We go to a nearby apple orchard each autumn and pick our own apples, too… and honeycrisps are my favorite! Thankfully, our area hasn’t “progressed” enough either, and we still have a drive-in theater. 😉 We especially love it on cool autumn nights. P.S. I love this post! 🙂

2. acuriousgal says:

What a beautiful day!! We love our HoneyCrisps here!! Have you tried the Zestar?!!! Fabulous!!!

3. What a fantastic feelgood article!! Food for the soul. I chanced upon your website a few days ago and eagerly await your posts. Wish we could get HoneyCrisps in the UK – they look and sound scrumptious! Thank you for your creative output. Best wishes, Frances

Oh Frances, what a lovely comment. We write for others to read, and it always is wonderful for positive comments.
      It is so much fun writing on just whatever strikes my fancy for the day. No wonder students loved it when I let them have “choose” writing instead of teacher directed prompts! Thank you very much , indeed! ( We noticed three degrees of “thanks” on UK TV….thank you , thank you very much, and thank you very much indeed! Namaste. . . .

4. awesome, it’s great have plants like this

5. ebutla4 says:

Miss Anne, I am so proud of all of your blogging. It blows me away how many you have done! They are all so interesting. I love all the pictures! You’ve inspired me to start my own blog about my studio project this semester. Feel free to follow it, as you will obviously be invited to the opening. Thank you so much for everything again! ❤

Well, this blog would never have been started or made its way through India without your patience with me! I am loving it, and so thankful to have something I enjoy and meaningful to do now! Great idea about your studio project. When you launch the blog, I will reblog it for my readers. I have several architects who follow me and you know how people romanticize architecture! At this moment I am writing about going to NYC to see the Corb exhibit at MOMA! Check it out tomorrow!

6. dalo2013 says:

Looks like a wonderful day, out pick fruit and enjoying life…great photos and write up!

7. Wow… what fun!… and at a decent price! 🙂
    My pet birds are so spoiled… that they will only eat red delicious apples… not the golden! Isn’t that a hoot?! 😉

8. Benmo says:

What a great family activity! And a drive-in movie, to boot. Excellent. My favorite apple is the Gala. I’d love to try a Honeycrisp some day.

9. thebrookcook says:

I LOVE Honeycrisps!! My mouth is watering just thinking about them. I will have to make a trip to the farm stand today and get some. 🙂 We get Upstate apples and Long Island apples here- delicious!!!