Leadership Matters

meghdoot_solarpkg (1)

Gujarat is pioneering sustainability in India and the world.   This project  is at the Narmada Canal where solar panels have been installed over the canal. They will protect millions of gallons of water from evaporation,eliminate the need of the acquisition of fertile farming land, which is a major cost of  solar energy, and produce electricity. Because of these multiple layers of sustainability, the World Bank is much more likely to give low borrowing rates on the  money needed for such projects.

Gujarat  is the first Indian state to  complete  such a project, though the Punjab  was the first to envision this solar project a few years ago. It seems a very effective approach  there as it is a large agrarian state. But their attempt at this project  has not started as of yet.  Since the idea became public, Mr. Modi’s state has planned and built a 1 MW solar installation which is producing 2/3 of the needed electricity in India.  It was started in November 2009 and will be fully activated in December 2013.  In the states of Tamil Nadu and Rajastahn  work is progressing on their own projects. Plans are underway for a 10 MW project , also in Gujarat.  The Clinton Foundation headed by former President Clinton is working closely with these projects because of the need all over the world for both power and especially water. On the opening of this solar project there were dignitaries from all over the world who were anxious to see it.

I lived and taught in the Phoenix, AZ area for 7 years, and heard much talk about Phoenix becoming a “solar city”!   Phoenix has similar climate, weather, including monsoons,  and desert landscape as much of India.  But as far as I know not much has been done except talk about the solar city dream.  Maybe they will be inspired to get something  done by  seeing Mr. Modi’s Solar Deals!

7079563359_1b9df0d480_b

charanka-solar-power-park-plant-in-gujrat-india-narendra-modi-600mw-largest

Union New and Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah praised Gujarat’s canal solar power project saying. . . . .

“Gujarat has shown the way with the commissioning of the world’s first 1 MW                 canal-top solar power plant in the Mehsana district.”

Namaste. . . . . This Is Incredible Gujarat, India!

This entry was posted in India, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Leadership Matters

1. emilyardagh says:

This is great! I spent a month in Gujarat several years ago and I loved it there. It’s very interesting to read about this 🙂

We were there, my professor husband and I, with 11 architecture students to study at CEPT University. I am curious what brought you to Ahmedabad? It is not really a tourist area, or that was the impression we got, which was great for us! Namaste. . . .

• emilyardagh says:

Hi, yes, I went there to do some work experience helping out in a school… it was a teacher from my own school in the UK who organised it because he had a contact there. I went with a friend and it was great! I feel like I got to experience some measure of an ‘authentic’ India, whatever that is! I really enjoy reading your posts 🙂

I am so glad you are enjoying my posts. You will understand how we felt as we walked down the lane after an awesome 2week tour to the north…we all agreed we felt like we were coming home . . . to Ahmedabad!

2. You are quite right. Gujrat has become phenomenal in development and communal harmony. The Solar Scheme is a model to other states in India and to other world nations. Unfortunately, we have in our Kerala there is a Scam in the name of Solar Panels…even the Chief Minister is reeling under the shadow of doubts….That is the difference between Gujrat and Kerala… All the achievement in Gujrat is exclusively thanks to Mr. MOdi…and we look forward to a similar bright future for our great nation as and when Mr.Modi assumes the prime-minister post.
    NAMASTEJI !

3. Arindam Saha says:

Really Brilliant man… And he means business… I am waiting so eagerly for the next year… 🙂

4. Thanks!! Another fascinating article – heartening to see the use of solar power on such a large scale. My partner is going to use these pics and info for his Geography lessons. Best wishes, Frances

5. Reblogged this on mohana's space and commented:
    Gujrat has become phenomenal in development and communal harmony. The Solar Scheme is a model to other states in India and to other world nations. Unfortunately, we have in our Kerala a Scam in the name of Solar Panels…even the Chief Minister is reeling under the shadow of doubts….That is the difference between Gujrat and Kerala… All the achievement in Gujrat is exclusively thanks to Mr. MOdi…and we look forward to a similar bright future for our great nation as and when Mr.Modi assumes the prime-minister post.
    NAMASTEJI !

Oh I am sorry about the problems in Kerala….what a beautiful state! Loved the canal boat ride, and would love to spend the night on one! I have written on or mentioned Mr. Modi if you want to poke around on my site. Or if you want, I can send you the links. I hope , too, for a new vision and success that he has led in Gujarat to happen for all of India and all Indians!
      Namaste. . . .

• Of course I do want the links…
        And about Kerala: It is hailed as ‘God’s Own Country’. Beyond backwaters and its Houseboat there are other inviting bounties of Nature, like, Munnar, Thekkady, Kovalam Beach…The whole Kerala is a paradise for the tourists…The way of life is to be experienced at close quarters.You are most welcome!
        Warm Regards…

On my blog, type in Mr. Modi in the search box….there are three
        also 9/13, 7/10, and 9/23

We did spend the night at a large fancy hotel on a beach in Kerala and then off to Goa. The students were in heaven with their two days on the beach! No architecture was mandatory! Namaste. . . .

6. Rohan says:

It’s amazing what Mr. Modi has managed to achieve with Gujarat. We’re all looking forward to what he achieves with the country when he takes over as PM! 😀

7. Pingback: Economy of Gujurat | TalesAlongTheWay

8. Pingback: 67 things about India which makes us feel proud on 67th Republic day