New York Kinda Day!

COP_MNRR_station-front_post-ren600X450

I was so excited when my architect decided to take a trip to New York to see the  Le Corbuiser exhibit at MOMA ( Museum of Modern Art) before it closed this week.  And I was invited to go along.  Never mind the architecture, I will get to walk and experience the  crowds, energy, tall buildings and just breathe in  the essence of the city.  And there is always an delicious,unusual meal included.  Join me for a lovely day. . . . .

We  drove  to Poukeepsie to catch the Metro North train. This was a drive – train  combination trip  as David wanted to drive his new car but not into the city.  Poukeepsie is a Native American word if you are wondering. It is pronounced (Pu-kip-see). I remember my mother seeing names on signs here and asking, what language is that?  There are lots of Dutch and Native American words incorporated  in our language from long ago.  The train tracks are  along the Hudson River and it  is one of the most beautiful train trips I have been on anywhere.

poughkeepsie2

The river is wide and deep which allowed Henry Hudson to sail the Half Moon 150 miles up the river to what is the modern day capital of New York at Albany.

hudson_river_ny_fishing

The Hudson is very clean and pure  now after General Electric was ordered to clean it up after years of pollution.

images (43)

When my children were young, we would make-up  stories about the island with the ruins of a castle on it  in the middle of the river.

PalisadesTrainTrack

The dramatic Palisade cliffs  along  the New Jersey side of the river signal  you are near the city.

Palisades_Sill_from_Palisades_Parkway

Finally, we arrive at  our destination of Grand Central Station. In my opinion  one of the great stations that I have seen  anywhere, and to think it was almost torn down for “progress”. Jackie Kennedy, wife of President John Kennedy,  lead a protest and held fund raisers to preserve this historical building.

ny_grand_central

The high, high ceiling is covered with the constellations of the night sky.  Now out into the streets!

new-york-176

I remember when the streets seemed crowed in New York, but that was before navigating Indian streets and sidewalks!

images (45)

Off subject for sure, but I want to introduce my Indian friends to the American squirrel. Some of you will remember a post I wrote in Agra about the squirrel that was hurt and stopped traffic.  The Indian squirrels are smaller, have less fur and, have three stripes on their backs!  I guess they need way less fur in the desert!

MoMA (2)

Here we are at MOMA  and there is a line to enter. The architect doesn’t do lines….then a limo pulled up  and we noticed huge film cameras. A  lovely unknown,smiling woman  exited as the cameras rolled.  She didn’t have to stand in line and the museum workers were shaking her hand in welcome!

moma1 (1)

Up to the sixth floor for the special exhibit.  Well, I can tell you it was very inclusive and darn, there were no padded benches. I find that is a very comfortable  position in which  to view architecture!  There were many of Le Corbusier’s  sketches, paintings, models,and even videos as you wonder through the many rooms.  He is part of the “Founding Fathers” of modern architecture.  Here is a taste  of his work. . . .

LaVillaSavoyeLeCorbusier 01

A photograph of the Villa Savoye in France. . .  .

download (10)

The Mill Owners’ Building in Ahmedabad where we spent lots of time with the students. They even has their final pin-up there with Mr. Doshsi as a critic. He is the “Indian Father of Architecture” or Frank Lloyd Wright of India.  He was a charming, gentle, unassuming man who made us all feel welcome! He is in his eighty’s now, and still going strong.

1315423081-le-corbusier-albert-einstein-810x1000

Le Corbusier and Einstein. . . .  .

After several hours, we had worked up an appetite.  Oh where to go in this city of restaurants from all over the world. We decided on a French Bistro where there are 160 types of cheese on the menu!  No kidding!  We had a glass of wine( after all we weren’t driving) and a cheese platter!  It was heavenly. . . . .wine-and-cheese-flights

artisanal_cheese

artisanal-fromagerie

Write down the name for future reference. . . . . .

artisanalWhat a perfect day in “The City!”

Namaste. . .  . . .This Is New York City !

This entry was posted in India, Uncategorized, USA and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to New York Kinda Day!

1. acuriousgal says:

What a wonderful post, Anne!! I just love NYC with its beautiful Grand Central and marvelous museums(MOMA). My family visited a few years ago and we took a train from DC to NYC!! So much fun!! Great views and my kids loved it!! I also love modern architecture and will be looking up Mr. Le Corbusier to find out more about him and his art!! Next time I’m in the city I’ll have to dine at Artisanal, looks fabulous!!! Enjoy your day!!🙋

I am so glad you enjoyed my post today. I love your enthusiasm. The children and I took the train from NY to VA , so I am familiar with the NYC to DC train. My favorite way of traveling is by train. It seems so civilized to see where you have been and where you are going! I even loved the Indian trains and we went 2nd class..not first class overnight trains. The architect has a theory that all the restaurants that stay open in NY are good because the people eat out so much and have such sophisticated expectations. Seems true to me! New York is my second favorite city in the whole world!!
      There are many wonderful museums…that are very expensive. At the Metropolitan which is amazing, the entry fee is only a donation which they suggest at $25 per person. . . . but you can enter with a much smaller donation! Namaste. . . .

2. I miss NYC!!! The restaurant is now on my wish list! Looks fantastic.

3. Trapper Gale says:

Fun post and great photos. Almost felt like I was there!

4. i love this blog post. officially, it was my afternoon smile. 😀 your pictures make the hudson valley look beautiful. autumn must make those mountains breathtaking. *sighs*

5. Don Ostertag says:

Wonderful post, Anne. Namaste.

6. annetbell says:

Many thanks….namaste

7. Wow, a sensational trip!! Beautiful photos and so uplifitng. You make me feel as if I’m there – I can smell the cheese! L’Artisanal is going to be a bit of a hike from the UK, but we enjoy a similar dining experience in France, an oft frequented country which feels like home to us. Roll on October (school half term holidays here)…and la France!! All of your posts are so educational, a great mix of info bites and travelogues. Thank you! Best wishes, Frances

It is wonderful to be close enough to New York to go for the day! Also 2 1/2 hours to Boston. Oh the French cheese is marvelous. Lucky you! Thank you for the kind, encouraging words. Sometimes I am afraid that the posts become too domestic, but people seem to like that. I do try to include some information that is educational without being boring. I was a teacher, you know! Namasate. . . .

8. vagabondvirginia says:

Aw, I miss the little Indian squirrels! They are so cute! I had a little furry friend in Kodaikanal I fed some bread too every morning!

9. Theresa says:

Thank you for taking me along!

10. ItsRonEvan says:

Very good article Anne! Enjoyed reading it. I’ve been itching to go to NYC. Maybe someday soon. Namaste!

It is a wonderful place, but bring lots of money! 😎
      I have been blessed to travel a good deal around the world and New York City is still my second favorite city, anywhere! Namaste. . . .

• ItsRonEvan says:

Yeah, thats what Im considering. NYC is sooo pricey. I have some few relatives in the US but not in NYC. Like what they say, if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere!

Oh it is so worth it if you can do it. Do you have relatives in New Jersey? That is very close and you can go in for the day. Namaste. . . ..