Squirrels in Winter

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Winter skeleton trees straining for the kiss of the sun. If you look very closely, you will see some nests high in the branches.

-361828_ORIGINAL

I have to confess that it has not been very long ago that I noticed the squirrel nests. I guess I am always shivering, complaining , and trying to avoid ice. But I love them now.

2010_0322sept0012

I found out that squirrels do not hibernate in their nests, but remain inside or in tree hollows on terribly cold days,( like ones we get!) , but emerge during warmer days to retrieve nuts they have hidden in the fall.  Evidently, they have quite good memories as to the various places they have hidden food and go directly from place to place to eat and  survive the winter.

Eastern_Gray_Squirrel

Little guys looks pretty well fed, but it is not the dead of winter as a few leaves are still on the tree. I just thought he was so darn cute!

20131117_152232

So on these wintry days, do look up and think of the little critters snuggled inside these nests.   And who knows what you might see?

article-2251639-169BBDF3000005DC-137_634x461 (1)

Namaste.  . . . .  .This is Squirrels in Winter!

Images from Google Images. . . .Public Domain

37 Responses to Squirrels in Winter

1. Haha, lovely little creatures!

2. Annet,
    I am going to write a post for you on my blog.
    It will tell you how a add Menus to your existing Menu. Once you follow the instructions in the post, then you would be able to do it
    Is that OK?

Regards

3. Such beautiful photos Annet.

4. I am more likely to be looking down in the winter, walking huddled over—trying to keep warm.
    The 2 little squirrels, sitting so closely, are trying to keep warm too! Very cute.

5. suzjones says:

They are so cute. I’ve never seen a squirrel except on tv or in photos.

It is indeed adorable! They are so cute but have such sharp teeth in order to open nuts. We had one get into our attic and down into the living part of the house. They can be very destructive with their claws and teeth as they realize the are trapped and frantically try to escape. We had people come and set up traps and then look for the place they got in and of course take the one away from inside. We had a yard full of large maple trees. Eleven all toll were caught and then taken away to be released on the other side of the river. The exterminators told me that they had seen damage of $10,000 when a squirrel got in a house , couldn’t get out because the people were away for two weeks. We were lucky. So they are cute at a distance and in their environment and not ours!

6. Wonderful photos. You have a talent for photography.

7. inavukic says:

Have a great Christmas and a Wonderful New Year Anne – and all who surround you with love and peace.

8. gabbartrip says:

Hello Annet! That’s a nice post there! I remember seeing these nests for the first time towards the end of last winter, and wondering what they were. Now, I know! Regards.

9. foodbod says:

Oh wow! that last photo of the two squirrels is SOOOOO cute!!! Lovely photos, thank you xx

10. AngieG9 says:

So cute Anne. I think our squirrels were all hunched down trying to hang on to their trees last night. Did you get any storm damage? We had a little bit of everything, from straight line winds, to tornado sirens, hail, sleet, ice, and electricity going off for awhile. Great night to be snugged up under a warm afghan with a good e-book to read.