The Grand Canyon of the East

Our Saturday started with a Lacrosse game in Tonawanda, a suburb of Buffalo.  John, Parker’s other grandfather was there and we told him we were off to see Niagara Falls after the game.  He asked if we knew about Letchworth State Park, “The Grand Canyon of the East.”  We didn’t and after our 24 hours  at the falls, we decided to check this place out. stock-photo-letchworth-state-park-sign-49455319 The park is made up of over 14,000 acres of scenic magnificence along the  Genesee River , just 35 miles south of Rochester, New York.  The steep walls of the gorge, the river winding below, the plunge and  spray of dramatic waterfalls, and the lush forest all contribute to make the park one of the most notable examples of waterfall and gorge scenery in the eastern United States. Within the park, the Genesce River roars over three major waterfalls, one of which is 107 feet height. Each year the river cuts deeper into the dramatic cliffs which approach 600 feet in height. ( from the park   map)

unnamed (3) unnamed (1)

And the. . . . . lower, middle and upper falls . . . . natural-beauty-and-waterfalls images (1) fotolia_2241522_XS

We stopped at every overlook until we came to the center of the park . . . . logo_GlenIrisInn_wCopy images (3) This is the inn which was  originally built for  Mr. Letchworth’s Victorian home. There is a veranda where you can sit and enjoy the flower garden, read, have a drink or have breakfast or lunch  while resting in Adirondack  chairs. We decide to stay the night and survived no I-phone service and no TV.  We had a delicious  dinner complete with Cherries’ Jubilee. The interior was Victorian inspired wallpaper and carpet, lovely reproduction lamps and and an elegant oak       stairwell, pictured here,  taken from the third floor looking down.

unnamed (2)   images (2) This is the fall directly in front of the inn. This is a destination place for weddings. It is so popular that they just leave the huge white tent up all summer.

There are many leisure  time pursuits in Letchworth: cabins and campsites, swimming pool, museum, the Glen Iris Inn and Restaurant, basic concessions, fishing areas, picnic shelter, winter sport facilities, and a multi-use trail network. Also available are nature and history programs, special events and festivals, guided walks and tours, summer lecture series and camper recreation programs. Winter activities include snow tubing, cross-country skiing and guided ski hikes, guided winter wonder walks and snowmobiling. Deer and spring turkey hunting are allowed by permit only. Whitewater rafting, canoeing, kayaking and hot air balloon rides. (from the state park map)

One element is very predominate. . . . rock walls and  trim on buildings. This was part of the CCC or (Civilian Conservation Corps) public work relief program started in 1933 by President Franklin Roosevelt as the 1st New Deal Program to provide work for the huge number of unemployed men during the Depression Era.  In less than 10 years, the CCC built 800 parks and planted 3 billion trees nationwide. The country is still reaping the benefits and pleasure  from  these programs.

river_17_FreeTiiuPix.com

LetchworthPhoto

Have you visited Letchworth State Park or other national parks?  Are you a camper or an inn sleeper?  Which is your favorite state park?  Do other countries have state parks for all the citizens to enjoy?  ($8 fee for a day’s visit)  Do you think “Grand Canyon of the East is appropriate name  for this state park?

This entry was posted in Architecture, Travel, Uncategorized, USA and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Grand Canyon of the East

1. markbialczak says:

Excellent tour, Anne T. Wow! I’ve lived in Syracuse 31 years, are a Niagara Falls regular, and I’ve never been to Letchworth State Park. My dear wife Karen and I will make a day trip out of it. Thank you!

Wow, so you didn’t know this park either. . . . .You and dear wife Karen will love it. Husband things there should be some advertising. Let me know what you think !
      Smiles. . . . . Anne

2. nixe says:

A very nice park …. at some point I’d like to visit him. Thanks for the information, dear annetbell.

Thank you for the tour! I love that long shutter waterfall pic. 🙂 My favorite National Park (that I’ve been to and it hasn’t been a lot) is Yosemite. We’ve been there many times and I love the grandeur of it all.

4. sstorm0730 says:

My uncle was a minister in Tonawanda years ago. Very beautiful country up there!

5. sstorm0730 says:

I was in my early teens when he was the pastor there, but it was a Congregational Church. I do recall that. I grew up in Rockland County, not far from West Point, I remember that it was a looooong trip to his home. I now live in the Colorado Rockies and, except for the lack of variety of trees (Aspens and Firs are pretty much it), I am very much reminded of that area of New York every day.

Looks beautiful.. I like the place in the little picture that have a couple people standing.

7. I have camped, hiked, taken photographs from the top of the cling holding onto a tree with one hand. I have some amazing photos and memories” I have stayed at the inn and eaten there many times. I have had more than one glass of wine at the top of the gorge. I have climbed to the top of the first waterfall and walked across the railroad tracks. Thanks for the memories. Hugs, Barbara

Wow! Sounds as if you grew up in the park or at least spent lots of time there. Thanks for the reblog and the comment. So glad you have such happy memories from the park. It is an awesome spot! Hugs back to you Barbara!

Anne

• Hi Anne, I have probably been there fifteen to twenty times. I love it very much. Thanks for bringing the memories back to my conscious mind. I invite you to visit blog if you haven’t all ready done so. Hugs, Barbara

8. tommyshaw says:

This place looks amazing! I am headed to New York at xmas time, do you think it would be worth checking out that time of year?

9. Peter Hatton. says:

Hi Anne.
    Again, another interesting plave I’ll have to visit when Im in the USA next. Thankyou.