“The Grand Budapest Hotel”

The “Grand Budapest Hotel”  is the story of the legendary concierge at a famous  European hotel between the world wars, and his lobby boy, Zero Moustafa , who becomes his trusted friend.images (3)

The plot includes a priceless Renaissance painting and a battle over a huge family fortune.

Here are some quotes from the net reviews  that describe the film quite nicely:

“A flume ride through the imagination of one of the great creative minds of current film. . ”  (Wes Anderson)

“Elegantly zany.  ”

” A comedy of quirky characters.”

“Elegantly off-beat and charming. . . ”

There is a star-studded cast of stellar actors. . . . . . brilliant-new-poster-arrives-for-the-grand-budapest-hotel-151538-a-1387438468-470-75

The Grand Budapest Hotel  in one of two  prominent colors  in the film. . . . rose and lavender. . . . . . The model Grand-Budapest-Hotel-The-poster was not a hotel in Budapest, though The Gellert would have done nicely,  but a Czech hotel,  Grand Hotel Pupp

images (4) in Karlo Vavary, the elegant and world famous  resort  spa city.

Karlovy_Vary_Czech

We ate at the Grand Hotel Pupp and it was an event. Soothing piano music, real china, silver, linen, and flower settings adorned the tables.  As we entered for lunch, waiters were  passing hors d’oeuvres on  sliver trays.  The chef sent little taste gifts to the table between courses.  There was some drama because a man had  brought his German Shepard into the dining room , but it was quietly lying under the table.  The next table was a French family who kept muttering…..Germans and their dogs. . . . . . . I guess they spoke in English or maybe the professor could understand that much French…

Karlo Vavary has  been the spa city for European royalty through the years.  It was terribly run down when we were there in 1995 just a few years after the Russians left during  the Velvet Revolution.  But even then, people were working very hard to restore their architectural  treasures.   I am thrilled to see this picture of the city restored to its past glory.  This was also the resort where Beethoven was to meet his “immortal beloved.”  I would strongly recommend a visit to the Czech Republic  to Karlo Vavary and Prague.  I will post more later.

I really enjoyed the” Grand Budapest Hotel” very much. It strikes me as a quirky adult fairy-tale ! I would love to know your opinion.

images from public domain

Video | This entry was posted in Architecture, film, Travel, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

1. LAMarcom says:

I cannot believe I have never seen this movie. Definitely one I would enjoy.

Once when I was on R&R in Paris back in ’78…wow!–I am getting up there–There was a very loud German fellow speaking French in a café. It sounded to me like fingernails on a chalkboard. My French wasn’t even that grating, even though I spoke French with a Texan accent!
    I love Germans… well the ones I have known, but Damn! They should not Speak French. It assaults the ear.

The Italians detest the Germans and still say when they come to Rome for early spring weather, that they (the Germans) were still the barbarians invading from the north. There is lots of history there. We used to laugh that you could always tell which tables were the Germans as they took pictures of themselves in restaurants.

2. Thank you for your comment on Panda’s Choice! It’s indeed a lovely movie filled with Anderson’s irreverent style. I really enjoyed your article. Hope to hear more from you soon.

3. LAMarcom says:

I love Italy.
    Spent a week in Florence once. Sick with the flu whole time. Shame. But recovered and spent the next week in Rome.
    Then…back to The Sandbox (Iraq) 2005.

Well, lots of historical first world architecture in Europe….so we have visited many of those places. Architect is interested in old mosques but not interested in being someone’s “political statement!”

4. Hello, thank you for the follow. I will follow you too 🙂
    By the way, great pictures in this post.

5. Wow! Look at all the colours in those buildings!!

+1 for those colorful buildings. They look great with Fall color too.

7. kyangel17 says:

I have seen the original version of “The Grand Budapest Hotel” and loved it, Anne. I think they have done a remake, but they usually are not as good as the originals, so will pass on that one. The buildings remind me of the buildings I saw in Germany and Austria during my one and only trip abroad. There are also colorful buildings in Ireland, and I know that only because my sister visits there and sends me photos. I may go there some day, when they build a bridge across the Atlantic.

8. rommel says:

I always love, love it when bloggers share stories and with great details with the use of images. Something I’m not good at, and probably that’s why that impresses from other bloggers. You left so much pictures in your readers’ imaginations. Nicely done. I do love that image with colorful houses.

You are too kind. Sometimes I worry that I include too many personal tales, so I appreciate your encouragement. I am sure you have stories to tell. Now that that is a personal goal, you will start remembering so just take a tenuous step and share. Have a lovely day !

9. Don Ostertag says:

Great post. Budapest Hotel was on our to watch list. After seeing your post, it will be on our must list. And thank you for your kind words about my posts on Mickey Rooney and Capote. I must say I really look forward to your posts. They are always so educational and entertaining, and of course, well written..

Well, you very kind, my fried Don. I am amazed that people read my eclectic blog. I really enjoy having it to do and it makes me happy that I have connected with such great friends on the net. . . like you !

10. faithebear7 says:

Been hearing all about Grand Budapest Hotel on NPR, but I’ll probably go see it now! Thanks for the thoughts and awesome pictures. 🙂