Mumbai Gang Rape:Death Sentence by Hanging for Convicted Repeat Indian Rapists

From BBC News India 4 April, 2014

A court in India has sentenced three men to hang, under a new law which carries the death penalty for those convicted of multiple sexual assaults.

The men were convicted of raping a photojournalist in Mumbai last year.

But they were also among five men sentenced to life last month for raping another woman in a separate incident in the city.

The trio are the first to be tried and convicted under the tough new law aimed at repeat sexual offenders.

Friday’s sentences were announced at a court in Mumbai where Judge Shalini Phansalkar Joshi said: “There needs to be zero tolerance for such incidents,” the Agence France-Presse news agency reported.

“A loud and clear message needs to be sent to society,” she added.

Both the victims – an 18-year-old telephone operator and the photojournalist – were attacked last year. Both trials were completed within seven months in a fast-track court.

The 22-year-old photojournalist, an intern with a Mumbai-based magazine, had gone to the Shakti Mills – a former textile mill that now lies abandoned – with a male colleague on a photo assignment when she was attacked. Her colleague was beaten during the assault.

After that case made national headlines, the 18-year-old telephone operator came forward to report that she had been assaulted in the same place a month earlier.

Scrutiny of sexual violence has grown in India ever since the gang rape and murder of a 23-year-old student on a bus in Delhi in December 2012.

The case sparked off nationwide protests and forced the Indian authorities to introduce tough new anti-rape laws.

Four men were sentenced to death and a juvenile was sent to a correction facility for three years for the Delhi attack.

The attack on the Mumbai photojournalist only renewed public outrage.

From ATB:   We were surprised yesterday to hear that India has passed this extremely strong punishment for conviction of multiple rapes. They are, indeed, wanting to end this epidemic culture of rape that has been rampant in India.   The US doesn’t have a law this strong.  And a death penalty in India where life is very sacred. . . pretty amazing. There are people who feel that death penalties don’t deter such crimes. I am not one of them.  The government has made the strongest statement possible.  I, for one, say good for them.  We arrived in India just weeks after the horrendous bus rape and murder in Delhi in December 2012.   There were numerous demonstrations and marches.  One of our favorite restaurants at C G  Crossroads in Ahmedabad, Souk had all the men who worked there wear tee shirts against rape and disrespect for women. Many men and women wanted to make statements against this horrible situation.

Professor stressed  to the students in our group that they should not be alone especially at night. He also encouraged that there be one of the guys with groups of girls.  Thankfully we had no  trouble.  Safety was paramount!   I have said all along that I felt that education, a strong cultural stand with demonstrations, arrests, trials , and punishment is essential for ridding this blight in  India.  Good for the government for finally taking a strong  stand. Trials , convictions, and punishment should be the norm to begin to right this wrong and work for a  “zero tolerance” reality for women and girls in India.

Video | This entry was posted in India, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Mumbai Gang Rape:Death Sentence by Hanging for Convicted Repeat Indian Rapists

I am curious about general death penalty in India now.

2. susipet says:

While I commend the government taking this really seriously and think this ongoing level of violence in India and elsewhere is completely unacceptable….I can never condone the taking of a life for it. Just can’t.

I completely understand your position and I have struggled with it, myself. These men were convicted of the Delhi rape and murder and before they were incarcerated for life committed the second crime and were convicted. This is when the woman judge sentenced them to hang. For me, these crimes , murder of the police, and sexual assault and murder of children are the only crimes punishable by death. Oh yes, and treason.

3. pflead73 says:

Education alone is not enough. We have top managers sexually assaulting women at the workplace. There is no law against marital rapes in India, some men think marriage has given them a license to rape their women every night legally. It’s all about how much control you have on your sexual desires and whether you want to have a control at all, either of which can only come through taking a moral responsibility.

Those same issues of marital rape, rape on college campuses…”no means no” have been dealt with in the US as well. And I agree with moral responsibility. I would love to hear your perspective on this issue and how to reach moral responsibility. Thanks so much for sharing!

• pflead73 says:

Education, but not for kids. Moral education to be precise. Education for people of the older generation who have a mindset that if a girl is raped then it’s her fault.

I taught you children 8-9 year olds. It is important to teach boys at that age to respect girls…no hitting etc and girls need to be taught to respect boys as well.

• pflead73 says:

That is necessary, but an 8 yr old guy is much influenced by what happens at his home. He might listen to you at the school, but form a completely different attitude towards girls owing to what he listens from his parents or relatives. If he says something in favor of girls, he might be bullied at home by his elders. This whole treatment affects a child psychologically and he ultimately develops a thinking that it’s perfectly alright to abuse girls and it’s manly to exert control over them.
        While I support your motive behind teaching these kids, i also think that their parents and nose-poking relatives receive some moral learning in parallel.

That is true, but how do you ensure that kids are presented with the same information at home? School presentation and just attitude insures that. Teachers are the first and best teachers of their children, without a doubt.

• pflead73 says:

I agree with you on that. I just wish it would be a lot better if what parents say to a child is not contradictory to what he has listened in the school.

It would be the most effective if there could be a united front. Thank so much for sharing, my friend!

4. I’m just pleased to read that they are taking stronger stances against these kind of crimes

Yes, there were stories on the TV when we were there in which the details are too horrible to relate on the blog. A government must try to keep their citizens safe…..all the citizens. .

5. swethadhaara says:

It’s very sad that women are targeted at every moment since they step out of home. Strict and immediate judgments which create fear among such brutal men should be given out. Also moral and social support should be given to the victims since its not their fault being targeted.

6. Whilst for most countries I would deem this too harsh, but India where women are fatally ripped to shreds by gangs of feral men and then left to die or have to live with the trauma, shame and stigma of not being ‘pure’ if they survive, I’m all for it. From what I can tell, it’s the only thing that will change the misogynistic culture and even out the balance of power between the sexes. There are countries that I am trepidacous about travelling to, even at my age, and because of these crimes, India is one of them.

You captured….gangs of feral men…perfectly. I think you are wise not to travel on your own. Sad as it is such an awesome place. Flying to Dubai and then on to Ahmedabad, the woman next me to said she was assaulted by the driver she was given to drive and protect her . She worked for a large international firm. There are politicians preparing to make a presence in the international business community, but this horror must be stopped! Thanks for your articulate , thoughtful comment.

7. I abhor the idea of capital punishment, but I have to admit that violent sex crimes seem worthy of the sentence, if anything is.

8. kyangel17 says:

I’m not sure what I think about this. I am definitely pro-life, and have worked in the past to defend it. I am also very much against the horrible violence against women, and as an American survivor of mental and sexual violence at home, it is good to see this taking place, but hanging? No. There are more humane forms of death penalty, including a firing squad.

9. There is no doubt in the minds of all Indians and Indian natives like me, that rape needs to be punished this strongly in India. While some of these case made headlines cause they are based in metro cites, there are many rural rapes that still go unreported cause the victims are minors or illiterate, and get no support. Bravo to a country that finally starting to fight off the dark side…

I agree 100%. when we were in India, there was a story about rural Gujarat where three little girls, sisters, were raped, and they their bodies’ dumped in the well. The male teacher from the school was arrested. I have no idea what happened as far a justice…but can you imagine anything so horrible?

• Oh Anne, I could shock you with the gruesome crimes against women and the stories heard in India through my growing years, the mind goes numb hearing of such atrocities going unpunished for so many decades!! The only thing that gives men like these the guts to do such things in public places is their belief that they will not be punished! With this verdict, there comes hope…

Hope is important. Beautifully said. Thank you for commenting!

10. annetbell says:

Do you vote absentee in Canada ?

11. LAMarcom says:

I have to say the death penalty is well warranted in this case.