‘Kandahar’ Life in Afghanistan Under the Taliban, A Film

download

This was the film I saw last Sunday.  A film by an Iranian director, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, who tells the story of life under the Taliban in the neighboring country of Afghanistan. It is based on the true story of  an Afghan  journalist  who had immigrated to Canada with her family. kandahar The story tells of her desperate journey to get to Kandahar to find her sister who has threatened  suicide on the day of the last solar eclipse in the 20th Century in Kandahar.  This city is a familiar  name from the terrible assaults by the US Marines there. The story is told by a narrator  in the third person.kandahar_2011_03_06_04_14_57  The  audience is an observer  and not a participant  emotionally connected to the characters unlike the way  I felt in ‘Departures.’ The beautiful shots of the hostile , merciless desert  landscape adds to the totally negative picture of life in Afghanistan under the Taliban.  There is constant  fear of death by bullets or nature, robbery, arrest, famine and for the women, the prison of their burkas. The results of Russian landmines keft after that war,  has a major part in the movie with many people either on crutches or poorly made prosthesis  which took a year to get. kandahar2 The film is a PG and would be a good film to share cultures with school age children. I haven’t checked, but this is probably  available on Netflix.

This Is Kandahar, the Film!

Video | This entry was posted in film, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to ‘Kandahar’ Life in Afghanistan Under the Taliban, A Film

1. kyangel17 says:

I hope this one goes through. I have finally created my Angel Award, for all of the angels in my life. You are definitely one of them, so stop by my place and pick one up. No strings, no hoops, just send it on to all the angels in your life. We need them more than ever now.

2. LAMarcom says:

“If you pretend to be an ant, you can close your eyes.”

I have been to Kandahar many times.
    Never saw this side.

Taliban!

Thank you for this post.

This was first presented at Cannes in 2001 before 9/11 where , of course, everything turned. When were you there? Were the Taliban in courtroom.? I just saw yesterday that this is a new documentary about Muslim women called ‘Honor Diaries” which is being shown. I do hope women all over will support our Muslim sisters! I always enjoy your comments. I have learned from days past, it is good to hear from primary sources! Ciao !

3. LAMarcom says:

I spent over a year in Helmand province. (Have blogged about it–was at Camp Dwyer)
    KAF (Kandahar Air Field) was our ‘hub’ I did not enjoy Kandahar. I preferred to be out in the country. I was there in 2011 and 2012. If you have time, please read my ‘Letter from a Southpark Jail’ This is about my days in Kandahar. Sadly, It is American-Centric.

During my fifteen months in Afghanistan I did read about the country. Most of my time in the region was spent in Iraq (four years: 2005-2009). For me, Iraq was a happier time.

4. OyiaBrown says:

Reblogged this on Oyia Brown and commented:
    Excellent! Did you see my further comments, yesterday?

One of these days after my move and things settle down I’d like to watch these videos. I think it’s important to get information from places other than CNN! lol

6. This looks really interesting. You’re a wealth of info!

7. Such videos remind us of how much we have to be thankful for our freedoms! Still to watch Departures…someday, perhaps summer:) Thanks Anne, for highlighting these aspects of the world.

Very interesting movie and in a different way than the Departures (which I found on Youtube). My heart goes to those young girls and women there.

9. This movie is very good, I just watched part of it but I could feel the emotional tension
    thanks for sharing …