David Defeats Goliath

I am mad about March Madness. . . . .For those of you are are not in the US, it is a tournament of college basketball teams, ranked by their wins and the difficulty of their season. Many have won their conference season or their tournament. Others like Duke who are always ranked nationally, are included.  Duke was ranked #3 and Mercer  #14 out of 16 in their bracket. Duke is one of the power schools who always have power players  who come from all over the country to be a part of this program. They have 4 NCAA championships,  have played in 10 championship games,15 final four games, and definitely is  “king of the hill” of  basketball in the history of this this tournament of 64 top teams. They are the Goliath with the record to prove it.

Yesterday, they were to play Mercer, a small liberal arts college in Georgia with the reputation of an excellent academic program.  Their basketball program is a successful stage 2 program. But yesterday, this “David” came to play . . . all seniors , talented and whats more, ready to be the “Goliath” slayer.  The video shows their joy at their unexpected ( to everyone but the team’s success!) Final score was 78-71 Mercer over Duke.

This game was in the afternoon. . . and our game was the last of the day.   hot_entry

University of Virginia, #1 seed in the East regional having won the season and the tournament in the mighty ACC!  Their opponent  was Coastal Carolina, from Myrtle Beach and their name Chanticleers dates back to Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales.  They were bracketed at #16.  Do you see the Goliath vs David metaphor in this game?  Same scenario, the Chanticleers came to slay the dragon. They didn’t care that VA had the #1 defense this year in all of  college basketball. .  . .                                                       hi-res-5e77514f8c36f8ce510af77cd09ff0fe_crop_north

They came out running and shooting and were ahead most of the first half. Soon the announcers were talking about the point of no return and the fact that NEVER had a #16 beat a #1 in the first round.  We started thinking we didn’t want the Hoos to be remembered as “the answer to a Trivial Pursuit question!”

dm_140322_Costal_Carolina_Virginia_Highlight

We were really happy at the start of the second half when the “old Va. team” our giant returned and quickly established  their rightful position . . . “the cream had risen to the top” so to speak and rallied to win 70 -59.

Virginian is in the ACC with Duke but doesn’t have their long and proud history in basketball, and in fact has often been accused of the “VA choke” finding ways to lose especially when you think they are going to win.  They did themselves proud last night!

I hope you got a bit of the excitement and flavor of March Madness.  Many of the players especially of the small programs will never be invited to the NBA and many of them have never played on national TV.  This is their big chance to be seen and to remember their tournament experienced.  Mercer lived to play again tomorrow but not Coastal Carolina, this year.  So it is not too late to experience March Madness  during the weekend and next weekend as the elimination continues. There will finally be a “final four”, the two, and finally the championship game on April 5. Of course I am rooting for VA, but also I watch to see the amazing , inspiring Cinderella teams that may take the ball and run and shoot their way up their brackets, like Mercer and almost Coastal Carolina !

This Is March Madness!

Video | This entry was posted in Uncategorized, USA and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to David Defeats Goliath

1. markbialczak says:

You spread the word so well, Anne. We are March Mad!

I take that as a high compliment from you , Mark. I am afraid I will make a fool of myself, writing about things that I don’t know that much about. But I love March Madness…don’t watch many games during the season but March is magical! Who are your final four?

• markbialczak says:

I have Arizona beating Louisville in one seminfal, and Florda beating North Carolina in the other, Anne. And I have Florida beating Arizona for the title. (Yes, I picked the Tar Heels over your UVA squad in the Elite Eight. Sorry.)

Well you are still my friend even if you picked the stinky Tar Heels! We we tired of ALL those Tobacco Road teams! 8-). I like Arizona . Lived there for seven years!

2. Dalo 2013 says:

Wasn’t the Mercer game incredible? Loved the summary and explanations here…it is such an incredible sports environment. Cheers!

Oh how lovely. I was certainly out of my comfort zone. I do love March Madness, but hardly watch many games during the season and I am not a sports person. Thanks for enjoying my attempt…..and yes , it was an incredible game! We always root for the other team against Duke. My gosh….they win all the time….gets tiresome for none Duke people!

3. Cool! once again, thank you, I’ve never heard of March Madness x

Hmm, picking favorite teams does not seem to go well here 😉

5. Katie says:

You have to read David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Mercer had nothing to lose – which is why underdogs can beat giants. Just because something is bigger doesn’t mean it’s always better.

Very interesting thought. . . . makes sense. Even in this tournament…..last night Dayton beat Syracuse. Another example of David sending Goliath down with a thud. . . . Thanks for sharing and I will check it out.

6. Go Mercer! David vs Goliath stories never fails to inspire our spirits. The triumph and victory way sweeter and memorable than seeing the same Goliaths winning again and again. Like life, overcoming the odds and the giants give us hope that with hard work, a lot of heart and team work, we all can do it! Awesome post!

7. kyangel17 says:

I don’t watch or follow the games much, but due to family history have to be a Kentucky Wildcats fan, so I’ll just hang on to the fact that last year we won the Final Four in New Orleans and my son-in-law (chief of staff at UK,) and grandson Ethan were there to cheer them on. So take THAT Duke, and remember you can’t win ’em all. Even little old Kentucky has beat ’em a few times.