Music Monday Lynyrd Skynrd ‘Sweet Home Alabama’

Lynyrd Skynrd is an American rock band best known for  popularizing southern hard rock in the 1970s.

800px-Lynyrd_Skynyrd_(1973) (1)

At the peak of their success, three members were tragically killed in a plane crash in 1977. But in 1987, the remaining band members reformed the group and still enjoy popularity today.

Lynyrd_2008_(1)

They never forgot that the crowd loves ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ and the  always go with ‘the one that brought em!” I chose the video  from the 70s as I got a kick out of the hair and clothes styles.  This video had over  17 million + hits!

I was at a fund raiser in Phoenix when a country band sang ‘Sweet Home Arizona’ which seemed a sacrilege  to me!   I am not from Alabama but am proudly  from the ‘southland.’

So far, I know only two people on the face of the earth who don’t like ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ and one is our oldest granddaugther.  Professor loves to tease her with repeated playing when we are in the car and she can’t escape!

I would love to hear from my blogger friends  and why you think this song has such universal appeal.

This Is 1970s Southern Rock and Roll!

Wikipedia text and images

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, USA and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Music Monday Lynyrd Skynrd ‘Sweet Home Alabama’

1. wingedprisms says:

For me, this dog just starts right off with that classic beat for anyone to “move” to – draws you right in with pure fun and freedom – love it.

2. Dalo 2013 says:

No matter where I am in the world, this song brings me right back into the heart of the USA. All it takes is the first few notes of this song and it puts a smile on my face and an extra boost in my step. Beautiful song.

Hmm, I am not sure I can tell why but definitely it has few parts that catch you well.

4. I have always loved the guitar riff and I ‘stole’ it once to use on a song. 🙂

5. …oh and that’s interesting because I always thought they ALL died in the plane crash, so there you go. 🙂

6. reocochran says:

I like this song, mostly due to the enthusiasm and the instrumentals. I have other songs I like better, but this is an above average song! The movie is adorable and has a twist that adds dimension to the country boy. He is an artist! Smiles, Robin

I haven’t seen the film , but understood this was a movie theme. I haven’t gotten the professor to watch 12 Years a Slave. He keeps saying , you watch it knowing full will I have trouble with all the clickers and such…..but I do want to see it. Thanks!

7. kyangel17 says:

Always loved that song Anne. And a funny background story — when they were doing a gig in Owensboro in the ’70’s, before the plane crash, one of the backup singer was ill, and my agent got me the “fill in” part of the back up group. Nice group of people, and fun to be around, and I think that song was in every gig they ever played. Rent the movie. It’s a riot of a love story that goes from bad to worse to really great ending.

I knew you would like it, girl of the southland. Someone else mentioned the movie which I didn’t even know about . What is the name of the movie ?

What a great story you had with these guys . It would be a great post!

8. SouthernWild says:

A true classic and artist…who will remembered and known forever. Love me some Lynyrd Skynrd!! ❤

9. Teela Hart says: