Music Monday ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’

download (3)

This reunion of Simon and Garfunkel  was the musical event of my lifetime.  I had been a fan from the beginning of their  folk-rock career in the transitional time  of the 60s. The lyrics told stories of universal experiences that are still heart touching today.  And the blend of the voices of  Art Garfunkle and Paul Simon still bring tears.hqdefault Professor, to no surprise, preferred Led Zeppelin!  Need I say more?  But this is my blog.

Last week, I decided to try a Music Monday post for today, and each Monday, as long as it seems to work, and “Bridge Over Troubled Water’ would be my first post.  This is my all time favorite song bar none.  The really wacky thing is that this morning as I sipped coffee, watching one of the morning TV shows, and it was announced that on  March 10, 1971,  this song was number one!  It seemed to validate my decision at least for today!

Now let me tell you that for us to go to this reunion in Central Park was totally out of character, but we were there.  Some former students who were living and working in The City invited us!  It was to start at 6:30 so we headed to the park about 4:30 and we could only find seating on the grass so far from the stage it seemed a dot on the horizon.  I remember all sorts of ‘street theater” or field theater of mimes, drama, musicians, lots of long hair,  pot smoking , and very long lines at the porto-potties.

The concert began and we could see on large screens set up at various places.pocahontas  Sound equipment was also blasting out the music. I remember thinking it could all be a recording and we would never know, but it was free and a memorable event.

All was well until it was over.  People had arrived at different times in the afternoon but at the end all 500,000 fans rose to leave atsimon3

the same time.  New York and  changed the traffic pattern  and blocked the streets from cars, cabs, and buses  so that people could all walk into the streets from Central Park.  We were just lifted up and carried by the crowd.  We had our children, and our son was only 6.  I had to take the cooler and professor carried him because we were afraid  he would fall and be crushed.

From YouTube, I chose the video from this concert.  The quality is not as good as the studio original or maybe even the reunion in Madison Square Garden.   But the memory of singing with Simon and Garfunkel and 500, 000 other fans is very special to me! It must have been a little like attending an Indian political rally where the crowds are equal or larger!

This is Music Monday!

Google images, public domain

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, USA and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Music Monday ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’

How appropriate with the lyrics about “feelin’ small” and looking at these crowds knowing you were there as a dot! Awesome post and thanks for the memories. I love them too.

2. Thanks!! Big S. and G. fan!!

3. Dr. Rex says:

Reblogged this on It Is What It Is and commented:
    Awesome!!!!

4. Wow! All those people, I would have been completely overwhelmed!!

This song also gets my vote too. Love it!

6. Mavadelo says:

one of the best songs ever written by one of the best duo’s that ever played together. I think only the sound of silence tops tis song for me (when it comes to S&G of course). thanks for posting

7. Mavadelo says:

Your welcome, following, I see a nice bunch of interesting posts here 😀

8. kyangel17 says:

What a great way to start the week. But it’s been a great day all around. I remember the first time I heard them on the radio, and called my sister to tell her to turn hers on so she could hear it. I think it was The Sound Of Silence, and Elaine and I played guitar and sang together, so we had to learn all of the Simon and Garfunkel songs after that. Can’t even remember how many gigs we sang them, but every time a new one came out, we added it. The guitar riffs on April, Come She Will were the most exciting to play, and Elaine has the soprano voice so she always got the Garfunkel part. I was so jealous, because I always wanted her to take the lead, but it just never happened.

9. OyiaBrown says:

Reblogged this on Oyia Brown.

10. Rachel T says:

What an experience! Garfunkel has one of the loveliest voices —his song “Bright Eyes” is a particular favourite of mine. Great post Anne 🙂

11. LAMarcom says:

Beautiful song. Thank you for sharing.
    One of the best things about the movie, “The Graduate” was the Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack.