Yes or No? Great Indian Head Shake. . . . .

With a little research , I learned the origin of the head bobble… dating back 400 years when the kings in Indian did not like to be confronted with a “no” when they gave an order.  This was true up to and through the Colonial period with the British.  Indian people adapted by not saying no to a request. Well, sort of !  For people from other cultures it can be rather confusing as you can see from this  presentation!

Video | This entry was posted in India, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Yes or No? Great Indian Head Shake. . . . .

I love this!!!! It’s so cute!

2. natandrea3 says:

this made me laugh! here in malaysia we get our fair share of this. (:

3. atkokosplace says:

Loved this post! The video made me laugh. It was great! I showed my whole family!

Very good. Different cultures have different body language. Thank you for sharing.

5. kyangel17 says:

Love it Anne. Looking back I can now remember when I would talk to Niv during work and get the different head shakes. Wish I had know this then, I could have sent a few back to her, especially when she was driving and I was navigating, trying to tell her to slow down because the turn was right up……back there after she overshot it at 90 mph.

6. annetbell says:

Reblogged this on TalesAlongTheWay and commented:

I thought this would brighten a gray, wet November day.