Philomena – The Movie

philomena-movie-banner-new-1498x843

Judy Dench is known for her regal performances depicting queens.  This may be her most complex role as she plays a average woman with unlikely depth and reserve of strength telling  of a mother’s undying love.  This film is based on the true story in the  2009 book by BBC correspondent Martin Sixsmith  The Lost Child of Philomena Lee-50 year search for her son.

The convent in Ireland is a focal point of the story, but though there is injustice depicted, I don’t feel that  it is either anti- Catholic or anti- Christianity.  The real Philomena was anxious that it not be. She, with all she has endured in her life, is today a proud, conservative  Catholic.philomena05

This true story is about an elderly Irish woman searching for the toddler son she gave up for adoption  as an unwed teen living in a convent in Ireland. Philomena’s story  took a lifetime and it will touch your heart. Philomena_-_Trailer_470298a

Dench and Steve Coogan are absolutely enchanting together.  There is conflict because of intellect, faith and class between the two but it is convincing as  almost a  mother and son road trip. And  there is the most amazing comedic chemistry as they travel together. You will laugh at their amazing timing, their  character development and the story.   The story twists and turns, is tragic, compelling, painful , and real! _D3S1363.NEF

My architect likes “guy” movies filled with car chases and things getting blown up, and not relationships. Last Saturday, surprisingly he agreed to see Philomena.   At the end, he said, no kidding…..”that was really good!”

Here is the official trailer and a good depiction of the story. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

This Is a Really Good Film!  * * * * * (5 * out of 6 *)

Philomena-poster

Pictures from Google Images- Public Domain

This entry was posted in film, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Philomena – The Movie

1. Judy Dench is one of my all-time favorites! As such, this film is on my to-see-at-the-theater-during-the-holidays list. I also want to see Saving Mr. Banks. 🙂

2. I’ve liked Judi Dench in every one of her movies. Have you seen the wonderful marigold hotel? It is set in India.

3. We took a vulnerable friend to this a couple of weeks ago and we all laughed and cried together, It was good cathartic cinema. Marigold Hotel was, I agree, pure delight.

This situation was handled in such a sad way for the mamas and the children. I can imagine just like Philomena there will be pain and uncertainty forever! I can imagine that you were a blessing to your friend who may have experienced this herself or with a sister or friend. My only criticism of Marigold Hotel is I wish there had been more about India and less about the characters…..a teaching opportunity. The problem with films is the 2 hour limit that does limit story, or characters or setting.

4. Don Ostertag says:

I saw the trailer on TV and thought that we would like to see this movie. Now I know we will.
    Thanks, Anne

I imagine you have very high expectations for films because of your background. I feel comfortable recommending this one. We also saw the Hunger Games…which was good….but the premise is so upsetting, I didn’t write on it. We used to go to films all the time. I love the period pieces and foreign films. Architect will go to just so many of them though! He loved the Hunger Games. . . .

• Don Ostertag says:

Like you, I haven’t seen the Hunger Games, or even read the books. Several of the grandkids have offered to lend them to me to read.
        I know the premise and I must confess, I still haven’t gotten over Shirley Jackson’s story, The Lottery, and it’s been 50 years since I read it.

5. foodbod says:

It’s really good to read your view on the film, there’s been a lot of publicity for it in the UK over the last few weeks and it sounds interesting. The real Philomena herself was interviewed on the radio which was very interesting. I definitely want to see it the film x

Ah you Brits make the BEST films and TV programs !!! Professor loves Strike
      Back! Violent but great acting , writing,
      and chemistry! I love Downton Abbey! Do you watch it ? Season begins here in January. Can ‘t wait!

• foodbod says:

I do indeed watch Downton Abbey, I love it too!!! And if you can find it, The Paradise is good, and Mr Selfridge and Call The Midwife…all brilliant British dramas..

We both love D A and can’t wait to see it again. Professor , though not a fan of period stories, is always about excellence. We really enjoyed Doc Martin and LOVED New Tricks. But sadly it became mundane after Sondra announced she was leaving. Before that it was wonderful with it’s energy and great dialogue. I loved that the crime was always unseen…no blood and violence! We stopped watching when it was just ho-hum…boring! Loved Brian…professor is more than a little like Brian! 😎

• foodbod says:

We were the same with New Tricks, such a shame when they make changes!

And her excuses were very lame, I thought. She better be careful, she may get few parts at her age and with her body! Fickle as the public is!

6. Andrea says: