Dhanteras

Dhanteras8

November 1 will be the celebration of Dhanteras which is the Hindu Celebration of Wealth. The goddess Laxmi ,whom we met at the medieval gates of Ahmedabah, is  honored with sweets. It is a traditional day of well-being for  businesses as this is the time of the year for purchases of gold, silver and platinum jewelry.  ( I am thinking this is the women’s favorite festival!) There are special songs and of course dancing.  My hope for all my Hindu friends is for  a celebration of wealth and prosperity of health, spirit, and family .

DHANTERAS_555593f

Women everywhere love “bling!”

may-the-pious-day-of-dhanteras-endow-on-you-opulence-prosperity

I included this  image because of the swastikas which will probably  surprise my Western friends.  We noticed them all around India especially in Hindu and Jain temples. The meaning as I  researched  is “it is well.”  The sign has been found to be used by Native American tribes and other places in the world. The Nazis and Hitler were the ones who bastardized it for the Western world.

indian-dancers

Indian-girls-hold-earthen-lamps-on-the-occasion-of-Dhanteras-ahead-of-the-Diwali-festival-in-Bhopal-India-late-night-on-Nov.-11.-The-word-Dhan-means-wealth-and-the-day-before-the-Diwali-festival-has-a-grea

Happy Dhanteras!

Namaste. . .  . .This Is Incredible India!

This entry was posted in India, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Dhanteras

1. sknicholls says:

The gold in Hindu culture is phenomenal. I read once that India has more of the world’s finished gold than any other country. I love jewelry and could see this being my favorite Holiday, as well.

2. Harsha says:

Indeed a Great time for purchasing new things according to Hindus… 😀
    Generally in this festival Hindus add valuable items to their homes.. 😀

3. teny says:

Far down the South of India, we celebrate the birthday of our state on the same day 🙂

Goa , Kerala or ? Happy Birthday!

• teny says:

Thanks; yes, Kerala 🙂

It is so beautiful ! We went on backwater boat. Wish we could have done the overnight boat, but maybe next time!

• teny says:

It is getting better every time, they are improving the water ways & I am sure that the experience will be better next time 🙂

It was lovely , very relaxing . Students were so happy not to be looking at and sketching architecture. Professor gave them two beach days in Goa , but we did Portuguese Churches. Do you live near the waterways?

• teny says:

I live on the side of a river without any water- traffic. Not that far away from the lake too, but quite far from where they have the facilities, 50-80km is very far considering traffic & the condition of the roads 🙂 Kerala has more old churches than any other state btw.

Oh that is interesting! I think we just saw some of those in Goa from the Portuguese period. Did they come to Kerala, too?

• teny says:

Yes, as Vasco Da Gama landed in Kerala first. Cochin was their stronghold. Most of the churches were rebuilt; two of the most visited churches are at Fort Cochin.

There are a lot of traditional Indian churches which predate Portuguese arrival too.

I just googled Fort Cochin and it was great. Will tell the architect! We traveled for one month when we were in incredible India and saw way more than most tourists, but there is so much more to see….I think you could spend a lifetime and not see it all! Thank you for telling me about this part of Kerala! Way more than boat rides! 😎

• teny says:

Yes, the thing about Kerala is that there is a lot more to see than what is usually listed. Most places have not made to the major tourist attractions list. A few might look like small villages, but they do have good places to visit & stay. You have more old churches in Cochin than many other Indian cities combined. 8 of the 21 Basilicas of India are in Kerala & 5 of them around Cochin 🙂

Your English is great . May I ask what you studied? That is interesting about the tour books, such a good point about places getting the tour books. We don’t travel in fancy hotels. We do like three stars though.

• teny says:

I had my post graduation in English Literature with Film Studies as elective.:) I graduated in English Literature and History. I rarely speak in English though.

There are cheap homestays around, like this one in a village near Fort Cochin http://www.kallancheryretreat.com/

Did you study in Britain? I am amazed at your flawless English. This place you sent looks great. I will make sure my husband gets it!

• teny says:

That looks like a good experience. As we are not that good with Hindi, we are not aware of such programs. Actually I have never been to the North & neither have I attended a North Indian wedding. I did cover most of the South + Kolkata though.

Are you a journalist? Incredible India is so many landscapes, jungle , desert, mountains. Amazing place. It was a wonderful experience . We didn’t get to Kolkata, though I wanted to see the Little Sisters of the Poor….Mother Theresa’s nuns. For once, we avoided the huge cities because of the difficulty traveling in a group. There is much wonderful to see and experience anywhere you go in India. And I think that Varanasi is at the top of my list…..it was so unique. I thought you might enjoy those two posts because of your interest in film.

• teny says:

No, I am not a journalist. We did visit Mother Teresa’s nuns along with most of the landmarks there. Kerala has a good number of cities and towns which are not that large.

I loved Pondicherry . . . The colonial French city plan, (the beach, Ganesha temple and blessing, Auriville. Also liked Chennai with beach and fort museum and Shiva bronzes. Have you seen these and the film Life of Pi ?

• teny says:

I visited Pondicherry & Chennai, but other than the beaches and Auroville, i guess most of the places we visited were different. I watched Life of Pi, even as it was very good, we had seats at the corner of the front row which made it difficult to watch and couldn’t enjoy it that much.

4. dalo2013 says:

Beautiful and wonderful photos. Happy Diwali 🙂

5. Ajaytao2010 says:

You are more Indian than me dear
    although I live in India
    your love for India is very great and full of beauty