Rice Revolution – The World’s #1 Important Food Crop

100_3241

It should come as no surprise that India’s preeminent crop is rice. It  produces 20% of the world’s crop, and rice is the staple of the diet  in the Eastern and Southern states in India. The usual number of harvests is two in tropical climates, but as many as  four have been reported. China is the #1 producer of rice, but  they are investing the reports of record rice production in Bihar, India where there is a claim of 22.4 tons yearly harvest from one acre of land.   The new methods that were used to produce this amount were less seeds and water, while stimulating the roots with organic manure. Many scientists are testing the soil and the conditions to explain this huge harvest. Could India lead in solving world hunger?

100_3242

Our bus driver stopped to show us rice being planted as we entered Kerola. Mallory, in blue, always the adventurer, got right down in the paddie with the planters!

100_3243

ricepaddies    We did not see the fields ready to be harvested and these images are from Google.

images (16)

ripen-paddy-crop-21825871

This entry was posted in India and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Rice Revolution – The World’s #1 Important Food Crop

1. Judy says:

I wonder if the Jamaican sanitation worker at RPI still grows rice in a paddy along the Hudson in Albany. We used to purchase fresh okra from him.

I have never heard that story! Rice supposedly is quite easy to grow just about anywhere. No idea about okra. Would love to hear how you found this creative gardener!

2. Beautiful post and the photos. Rice planting is a tough job no doubt. It has to be planted in standing water and I have heard stories that snakes in water can be very vicious sometimes. Thanks for sharing.

Oh yes, I have actually seen stories on TV…wish I had thought to include that fact. Snakes fly through the water . I have seen Cotton Mouths in the South.
      Thanks…namaste. . ..Anne

3. Back then in school… My house mistress wanted us to grow some rice in the field and after the first, I had to fake a serious illness so as to avoid not going to the field, and seeing this just reminds me of the stress some people go through just for us to have what we own now…. Bless you for sharing

4. OyiaBrown says:

Reblogged this on Oyia Brown and commented:
    Wonderful.

5. nirbhayasindia says:

Nice.

But India first needs to solve its own hunger, where it contributes actively to the statistics of the world!
    Last year, foodgrains rotted in the rains (where? In Gujarat), but the poor starved. Literally to death.
    Farmer suicides also happened in plenty.
    And rice meant for distribution to the poor was pilfered by the rich and sold! And where? Naturally in the commercial capital of India – Bombay.
    Here’s more: the state that produced the maximum rice in India was Kashmir. And today?

There is a lot of rice in Bihar, and a lot of landless labour and therefore, a lot of naxalites and Maoists. The Maoist movement has inched up from the south and the east (where all this rice is produced and consumed!) and has now reached high up into Maharashtra (you might want to google Gardricholi) and Madhya Pradesh. And now it has entered trade unions in Delhi / Haryana and Chennai. The industrial violence at Maruti Suzuki (India’s largest automobile company) at Manesar is worth studying. Equally the bewildered diagnosis of it, by the India political class!

So what am I trying to say?
    What you produce has nothing to do with how you will fare. For the beneficiaries of that production may actually be living in rarefied space.
    Nice green photographs, but you know what the people in those pictures earn? And what they eat (not even a plate of rice a day!), even while they produce the rice? And how they are treated? The diseases they suffer from – the first is malnutrition!

Sorry, I don’t want to play spoil sport. I am just a lone, feeble voice correcting some of the falsehoods perpetuated by vested interests in India and their putrid and self serving understanding of the two magic words – ‘growth’ and ‘development’.
    We want to be developed like developed countries. How about starting with bridging inequities like them, and ensuring social justice?

Still, I feel nice reading your blog for it tells me, that we have made strides in places and that there is hope. And I love all indophiles and respect them, but when I do so, I tell myself I am being biased.
    I adore your blog. Please cut out my comments if they are a nuisance. I really mean it.

Honestly, I am delighted that you felt you could tell me all this and I would like for your comments to stand. I set out to tell the truth about India, through my eyes and experiences. Here is my email , if you would like to have it. You are so articulate and clear on the Indian situation. I think you should get involved with politics. I am sure you could make a difference speaking up on issues of respect for women to huger. Blessings, Anne
      anne.t.bell@gmail.com

• nirbhayasindia says:

Thank you Anne for your mail id and I will write to you from mine soon. And thank you for all that you’ve said and of course for your blessings. I am relieved you took it all so well and positively.

After writing it, I felt I was littering your heaven, but somehow felt you wouldn’t think so. Will catch up and will love to catch up. Until then.

Meanwhile do continue to follow nirbhayasindia.com It will only get worse!

Compelling metaphor…”littering my heaven”! You are a writer and should be writing for a newspaper or articles or books for many people to read and understand the problems in India. You need to be “Speaking Truth to Power” my friend!

Namaste. . . Anne

• nirbhayasindia says:

Thank you Anne, for all that you said, all of which I love, and even more so when it confuses me. For a person who doesn’t even vote, and avers that a vote is best not wasted in these deplorable times, I have been told to seek some for myself. And for bold, adventurous reader of newspapers and big books, I am now told to write some.
        What if I did!
        Extremely sweet of you to say all this and by the way, I mailed you. Trust I am now littering your inbox and not your blog? Do confirm.

I was in the midst of write you an epistle Off to Starbucks now for my chai! ( Not as good as Indian, though!)!

• nirbhayasindia says: