Believe Your Eyes!

Image

In this ancient city of  Varanasi, (Benaras, Kashi) sacred bulls can be seen walking up  and down the stairs (ghats) to access the Gangi for drinking water and bathing.

Namaste. . . . .T I I

image from Google Public Domain

This post and this picture along with a post on Mr. Modi have been my most popular. I am including my very long post and video on Veransi.  It is my favorite place in all of India! It is for those of you who have time and an interest in faith systems around the world. India is multi- layered and complex society as is Hinduism , the  main religion of this amazing country.

This entry was posted in Animals, India, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Believe Your Eyes!

1. This is an excellent photo!! Must be very interesting to witness these cows walking around the city!

They are not just walking around but right next to you for reaching out and touching, if you wish. There is a saying if you touch the cow’s head in a blessing , you will be blessed by going to heaven. I don’t believe that , but I did like to touch them. Very docile creatures or the ones we came into contact with! Namaste. . . . .Anne

2. Yes it’s a funny sight seeing them walking up and down the steps. Almost as funny as seeing the buffaloes bathing!

Varanasi was a life changing experience and now near the top of my all time fave places to visit. I struggled with my post and it is long with a YouTube video. If you feel like plowing through it, it is Varansi, A Pilgrimage City on my blog, in March I think. Namaste. . . . .Anne

3. toemailer says:

We would love to post that at toemail if you do not mind? http://toemail.wordpress.com

4. Lakshmi Loves To Shop says:

I’m visiting Varanasi in October 🙂 can’t wait…

I can’t wait to hear your tales! If you have the time, visit Varanasi, A Pilgrimage City on my blog. It is rather long, but there are some great photos and a good Youtube video, which is also long. Gives you an idea. Have a great trip. Namaste. . . .. Anne

5. It’s a bull, that’s directly related to the Shaivite sect’s faith in Nandi as a powerful anthropomorphic follower of Mahadev. It’s said that the first right over Kasi is of the widows, bulls, stairs and the renunciate. Kasi worships its bulls and they rule the streets and the galis.

Thanks for the clarification. Not being a country girl, they are just “cows” to me, though of course, I do know the difference. It is an amazing city. Namaste. . . .Anne

• Knowing your love for the city, I took it as my duty to provide you with exact information. That does not mean that the information is important in itself, only I thought it’d be appreciated. Bulls, by the way, rule the streets and galis too. I’ve seen them claiming anything from any fruits and vegetable shop in busy markets.

Oh, I love to learn about your great country. After two days in Varansi, I am hardly an expert. Thanks for helping me learn more! Namaste. . . .Anne

You made me remember when we were strolling on the walk, going from ghat to ghat when a bull charged toward us. We tried to avoid his horns and did so as the skinny handler smacked him with his stick! 😎

• Bulls should never be trusted. They are very powerful and very moody, we learnt it through our experience in the ghats and galis. Somehow, they have become one with the identity of the city.

6. Welcome to India…. 🙂 And you will see cows, bulls, buffaloes, and goats on the streets of many Indian cities as well….. Even now, many Mumbaikars (denizens of Mumbai aka Bombay) got their daily quota of milk fresh from “tabelas” (sheds for milch cows and buffaloes) that were present at many places in the city.

In smaller towns, the buffalo or cow is led to your doorstep and milked in front of your eyes. 🙂

Maybe you can answer a question we had. Is there anywhere in India where the milk from the water buffaloes is used to make fresh mozzarella? We visited a dairy in south Italy were that was made. I think Indian people would love it as it is similar to paneer and very delicious.

Also, can you tell us why so many Indian people are resisting calling Mumbai and still call it Bombay? We thought it odd as Mumbai is the original name and there is a push to return to pre-colonization names. I noticed you used both names as well. Namaste….Anne

Loved the “milk shed”story! Thanks ever so much for taking time to share!

7. toemailer says:

Reblogged this on toemail and commented:
    Awesome Shot! 🙂

8. Lovely! Man in harmony with beast, so much better than those vile photos of bulls bristling with blades in the bullring. Namaste x

9. Bếp từ says:

i can feel it.. great shot

10. I love this photo! Although i always got told that cows couldnt walk down stairs- learn something new everyday!

11. Varnasi is one of the only places where Allen Ginsburg traveled to and thought, “Everybody here is crazy!” Sounds like one of the most interesting cities in the world.

Thanks for sharing that story about Allen Ginsburg. I agree having been there only two days that it is one of the most interesting cities in the world. Add it to your list! Namaste. . . . Anne

12. Reblogged this on Phoenix Flights and commented:
    Had to share this as I love the image of man and beast in harmony, the very antithesis of horrible photos of the so called ‘noble’ ‘sport’ of bullfighting.
    Just beautiful……

13. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

What a photo!! Really great!

14. annetbell says:

Reblogged this on TalesAlongTheWay and commented:

This is one of my two most popular posts! Veranasi is my favorite site in India. Bulls and holy men are ever present in this city where Hinduism was born.

15. games wiki says:

I feel that is one of the such a lot important information for me.
    And i’m glad studying your article. But should remark on some common things, The website
    style is great, the articles is truly nice : D.
    Excellent job, cheers